Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Nazis' unrequited love for Nietzsche

Sometimes one observes something so wrong, so openly, so glaringly and so blatantly wrong, it almost becomes difficult to breath. All of one's arguments and reasons and frustrations collide, just a fraction of a second after one's mouth is opened, and fall embarrassingly short of explaining the depth of the fallacy and instead one just sort of pants, open mouthed and blubbers, "That's so wrong."
I don't mean wrong in a moral sense. Not wrong as in, "murder is wrong." or "wasting electricity is wrong" or "wearing that skirt with those shoes is wrong." It's not even wrong in the sense that 2 + 2 = 5 is wrong. I mean wrong on the sort of incalculable scale that 2 + 2 = 4,523,917.2333333333 is wrong.
I mean the kind of wrong that makes you laugh at first because logical, deductive reasoning dictates that it must be a joke and then makes you laugh again with a touch of insanity at the mere notion that it isn't. I'm talking about a type of wrong that first dwarfs then rises above, renders useless and effectively decommissions the very word, "wrong" in it's normal sense because it is THAT wrong.
What I'm trying to describe is a perversely off-target untruthfulness; a profane inaccuracy.
Am I getting through?
This "wrong", if one can even call it that, hurts - and someone published it on the Internet.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

To use their own devices, I would summarize it as a conservative excrement. It is a frightfully subjective list of the "top ten most harmful books" published in the last 200 years. There's much I can write about it but it speaks for itslelf. Nietszche's "Beyond Good and Evil" is right up there with Hitler's "Mein Kampf" which is second only to Karl Marx and Freidrich Engels' "The Communist Manifesto." In the summary for "Beyond Good and Evil" the author writes, "The Nazis loved Nietszche."

(sigh)

Charles Darwin's "The Origin of Species" received an honorable mention - for being harmful.

13 comments:

Isabel said...

Haha, this is hilarious, thanks for the link.

Got my to-read list for the summer now!

Grae said...

totalement!

Eve said...

Whoa! Did they mean harmful in the sense of fomenting dissatisfaction with the status quo? I think maybe so.

Shit! I was going to write that about my summer reading list...

Anonymous said...

You know what the most shocking thing about this is to me?? They're all highly educated, supposedly intelligent, informed individuals. It just baffles the mind...

Grae said...

Exactly! Where do you even begin to refute that? That's where I bgein to gape like a goldfish.

Eve said...

All you can do is laugh.

Or maybe cry.

Amy said...

hmmmm... some of my favourte authors and books are on that list. i must be cccraazzyy!!! and very harmful.

Ray said...

Lindz. they are highly educated RICH capitalists. Of course they will hate communists. It is the rich that do not want to share. all the poor want to share cause they have nothing to share.

Eve said...

Rich or poor, nobody likes sharing (just hang out with some kids, no matter what their socioeconomic background) and you'll see.

Also, the tragedy of the commons.

Lin-Zed said...

Ok...my mouth is gaping like a goldfish again!
First of all...have you considered that the tragedy of the commons is not so much an issue of sharing and greed, but rather an issue of regulation. Have you considered that with the proper regulation, the commons might actually be a very efficient way of managing things. Think of open source software.
Second of all....Steve...that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in ages. By definition highly educated rich capitalists do not want to share?? And poor people do?? Have you happened to spend time with groups of poor people lately?? Spent time at a homeless shelter, or with people on the street? My experience...my regular experience as my job is working with low income individuals...has been that poor people have no interest in sharing the very few possessions that they do have. I'm certainly not passing judgment, but there's not a lot of altruism going around low income populations...certainly no more than around the average middle class group. There are lots of rich people that do fall into the selfish category, but there are an awful lot who are the most generous people I am fortunate enough to know. Perhaps it is a karmic guilt thing, or perhaps they are just appreciative of their good fortune but generous like you have no idea, and insistent on sharing everything. And Communism?? Don't even get me started...looks good on paper, but in reality resulted in one of the biggest genocides of the 20th century.
Know what...I'll take Bill Gates and Warren Buffet over Mao and Lenin any day thanks.

Eve said...

Hey - you aren't Graham?

Grae said...

Nope, I'm Grae ;) Good guess though.

Anonymous said...

Hallo! ;)
oh... what sick news!
what do you think about it?